Sunday, July 4, 2010

Greenwich!

Happy Independence Day! There's no fireworks on this side of the world. haha.
Today marks my 1 week arrival to Sussex. Even though the program is only 8 weeks, this whole week went by pretty slow. It's all good because I get to soak in all the culture.

Today, the crew went to Greenwich! We ate a traditional breakfast meal at Wetherspoon for brunch and it was quiet lovely!



See that triangular black thing on my plate?
That's called 'black pudding.' It's actually a a piece of
fried pig's blood and rice sausage. Sounds gross, but it actually
tasted pretty good.
This is a traditional breakfast that people eat in Greenwich and I think
Brighton. I'd say the best item on the plate was the hash brown
and the black pudding. The beans were really good too.


Greenwich is a quiet town, not too far London. The cathedral and the painting hall are soooooooo magnificent!

1) Rows upon rows of columns surrounded the building.
The outside reminded me of Mr Darcy's estate from
Pride and Prejudice.
2) Interior of the cathedral. Look at the detail! Amazing, right?
3 & 4) Painting Hall? I think that's what it was called.
Everything detail was painted. See the columns in picture 3?
It's all painted. Everything in the hall was flat surfaced, but

the depth and detail of the hall were painted to look 3D!

Although the Greenwich is a small town, this is where the dateline/ time zone is set up. Did you know that GMT, the time zones of the world means Greenwich Mean Time? This is a Big deal because the times of every country and state is synced with the time in Greenwich!



The Royal Observatory of Greenwich is literally where time is invented!
Sooooo cool, right?! This is also where the West Longitude and the East Longitude meet!
I can say that I was in two Longitudes at the same time!

Today, by far, has been the best cultural day I've had since I've been here. I mean, London was great. Seeing Big Ben and all was great, but I feel like all those are already over played. Greenwich, on the other hand, was something I didn't expect!

Besides tourist sites, I love the market live! We went to Greenwich market! Markets here aren't like farmer markets. Vegetables or fruits aren't sold here, but there are a lot of unique artsy, random things. It's more like a vendor fair. Oh! There are exotic foods sold here too. Like yesterday, at Camden Lock, I ate Turkish food. Yum!


1) Greenwich Market. I love markets! I experience the most culture here
because there's creative artwork and there's a variety of
different cuisines.
2) The silver bracelets are actually made out of
utensils! Neat and very creative!

Today is Sunday.. so Like every Sunday, since I've been born, I went to church. We went to a church on a boat!



St. Peter's Barge. It was a small church with about 50 people.
Cute setting and cute boat!
This is the surrounding buildings near the church. This is
the river on which the church floated on.

I'm not going to lie, but church was alright. Actually.. I found it boring. The service was a traditional service in which the music was from a piano recorded piece and the songs were conservative. But! The community were nice.

Greenwich, overall was a lovely town. I would definitely recommend this place to visit.

Happy 4th of July from Brighton, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment